Saturday, April 18, 2009

Are you kidding me?

I am typing this post from Tyler's hospital room at the IMC hospital. Yes, that's right, the Sohm family has been slapped in the face once again with trauma. Seriously, when is it going to stop? Just when things were starting to feel back to normal, we end up spending the good part of the week in the hospital...

Tyler woke up early Monday morning (about 2:30 a.m.) with excrutiating pain in his abdomen and back. I took him to the Emergency Room, where they diagnosed him with Diverticulitis. This is basically an infection in the large intestine. We were there only about 3 hours, then sent home with antibiotics and pain killers. Mon, Tues, and Wed. kind of came and went, with Tyler being in pain and nauseated. Thursday morning, he woke up (or basically just got up after a no-night of sleep), and couldn't stop vomitting. I called the ER, and they said to have him come in right away. We spent all day Thursday in the ER again, with more X-rays and CT scans. They had him hooked up on pain meds, and anti-biotics all day, and finally admitted him that evening. It has been a long couple of days. You sort of lose track of time while you are in the hospital. He is doing a lot better right now and is finally able to eat (liquid diet), and is up and walking around. Hopefully he will be able to come home tomorrow.

I would rather not be here right now, but since we are, I have made of list of my favorite things about the hospital. Hey, I need to stay positive. :) #1-My favorite thing is the view!! It is spectacular! We are overlooking the Wasatch mountains, and it is gorgeous. We are on the 11th floor, so we can see just about everything. #2- Our room is right over the helicopter landing pad, so that keeps me entertained. I get so excited every time I see the choppers fly. I have never even thought about how many emergencies a day that AirMed is used for. #3- My other favorite thing is hospital ice. YUM!! Tyler says that he doesn't have any favorites about the hospital. I think he is ready to get out of here.

You know, this whole experience has made me realize that anything can happen at any time. I have thought a lot about how grateful I am for Tyler. I don't know what I would do without him. I have hated seeing him suffering, and wish that I could just take it away. I think we have both had our share of pain this year. On top of that, I have felt so bad shuttling my kids around to other people just so I could spend time with him at the hospital. This has broken my heart every time I have had to leave my kids with someone. I love them more than anything in the world, and am so blessed to have 3 sweet little angels in my life! I CANNOT wait for all of us to be home together again!!!! Let's pray that we are done for the year!

13 comments:

Sheri said...

Ugh! I am so sorry. You have had a horrible year. I wake up in the morning and just say, "Give it to me." Because I know He will. He knows we can handle whatever comes along because we really have no choice! Ever notice how He doesn't ask us if we want the trial, He just assumes it will make us better ;) . Good thing He sees the big picture. I have a favorite quote that says, "I know this is the school of life, but I am ready for my recess." I hope you all get your recess soon...you deserve a break.

M&M Frost said...

Holy Cow! I bet you are so ready for a break! I'm so sorry!! Hopefully they will figure out what is wrong and get him feeling better! Hang in there! We're thinking of you guys!

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

I hope Ty is feeling better. So sorry you have had to endure another traumatic event. We love you all and have been in our prayers. Thank goodness for modern medicine and antibiotics, oh and medical insurance. Hang in there! My kids missed seeing your kids on Friday. I know your kids had a great time with their other cousins. Take care!!! :) :) :)

Jadi said...

I am so sorry to hear what has been going on. I hope Tyler is feeling better soon. You have had more then your fair share of trials. I will keep you guys in my prayers.

Shumway Adventures said...

You are all in our prayers

Laura Stringham said...

It's good to see you all home on this nice day. We can't believe how tough you are. I also can't believe that you were feeling positive enough to list things that you actually like about the hospital. The ice IS really good though...

Baylie Benson said...

Jana I'm so sorry! it made me cry when you were being positive at the hospital! you are so uplifting! youre the best!
<3 baylie

Jamie said...

Gees girl, you guys need to be done with 'trials' I hope everything gets back to normal for you guys very very soon. It is amazing how positive you always are. Youre a great example!

Kim and Chet said...

I am so sorry that he is not well. That has got to be so hard on your whole family. I hope he gets better soon!

I do love the IMC hospital...that is where I had Cash and it has been by far my best experience all around!

Anonymous said...

Oh Geez Jana....you really are ready for a break! I don't know if I could find anything positive at the hospital! I hope he is doing much better!
Loves!

Julie Toone said...

Wow...I love that you can find positive things about the hospital...I like the warm blankets the bring:) Good luck with everything...I hope it stops pouring on you soon:)

The Sohm's said...

So glad Tyler is feeling better!

Lloyd's Tribune said...

oh dear my lil Jana! I have been thinking baout you a TON lately! I think of you all the time. I'm so sorry I should have called you sooner. I guess that post answers my question about how y'all are doing? So sorry! TEll Ty he is in our thoughts and prayers , as youa ll are! i still love teh blog, it's so personal! I love seeing how big your kiddos have gotten! So darn cute!

On an upbeat note, I talked with Shad about Disneyland and he seriously thinkign that may be perfect timing! He is going to look over all his scheduling and everythign else he has to figure out btu lets cross our fingers! Gosh that would be so much fun!!! Ahhhhh! We were just saying yesterday how we wuodl love to take a trip with someone! You guys would be perfect! Thanks for bringing it up! Luke talks about Riley all the time. I need to have him write him another letter. we talk abotu it but, haven't gotten there yet, I will try adn be better, you do the same! NO MORE incidents, the sohm family have hit their MAX for the year "2009!" and that's an order! Chica!

lots of love , hope things get better real sooN!