Monday, January 19, 2009

My Sweet Baby Boy


This is by far the hardest post I have ever done. In fact, I have been avoiding it on purpose for the last week. I am actually getting teary just thinking about this again. We have had quite a life-changing event in our family. On January 7, I was 24 weeks along in my pregnancy, and I went in for a checkup with my doctor. To my horror, there was no heartbeat. I can't even express the pain that I was feeling as my doctor told me that my baby was gone. I thought it was all a dream, and I just couldn't wait to wake up. This is every pregnant mothers nightmare, only this was becoming a reality. The days that followed seem like a blur, since all I could do was cry. I didn't think that I would ever get over the pain. I knew that I had to deliver my baby, but I was not ready for the next set of emotions to come to me.

The moment that the nurse brought our sweet little Matthew Keith into us, my heart was filled with love and gratitude for this experience. He was such a perfect little boy, and although we may never know why he didn't survive, we knew that he was our son. He was absolutely perfect, with all 10 fingers and toes, and we love him just as much as our other children. Tyler and I have had countless experiences during this past week that have brought us closer together, and made us realize that families really are forever. I never thought that I would bury one of my children so early on in life, but it really was a spiritual moment for our family. I know that baby Matthew is in good hands. Tyler said that he got the "fast track" to heaven. I am so thankful to know that he is happy, and will most likely be watching out for our little family here on earth. His little spirit has changed the lives of our entire family, and has taught us how to love deeper, and always be grateful for what we have. Our family has pulled together, and helped us get through this tough time. We have felt so much love and support from all of our family, neighbors, friends, and even our family's neighbors. We are so grateful for so many people that have made the loss of our baby just a little bit easier. I have realized that we all have trials in this life, but there is not anything that we can't handle without the help of our Savior, and the loved ones around us.

I don't know how long the pain of losing my baby boy will last, but I will never forget the tender moments when we held his hand, looked into his face, and knew that he would be with us forever.

20 comments:

Sheri said...

Jana,
This is a beautiful post and thank you for sharing with me your sacred experience. Without the gospel there would only be sorrow, but with the gospel there is hope and happiness mixed in. Sheri

Kim and Chet said...

Jana,
I am so sorry that you lost your beautiful baby boy. However it IS such a comfort knowing that the loss is only temporal and that you will have him in your family forever!

I can't even imagine how hard this must be for you right now. My prayers will be with you and your family.

What a beautiful and precious picture!

The Sohm's said...

Jana,

You couldn't have put it any better. Great post and our thoughts and prayers are always with you. I think we have all grown from the faith of you and Tyler and your testimonies. Thanks

Julie Toone said...

Jana,
My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for your loss. I know the pain cuts deep. I think you put your story beautifully. When your heart cant bear anymore pain remember that you can use the atonement daily. Please feel free to call me if you ever want to talk...or just contact me through blogs. My prayers will be with you.

The Sohm's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Sohm's said...

Jana,
I know this has been such a hard experience for you. I can't even begin to imagine how you and Tyler feel. I do know you guys are both very strong and the Savior is with you. Thayne and I really want to thank you both for how much excitement and support you have given us when we found out we were pregnant. It has been such a bittersweet experience and we continue to pray for you both everyday.

Nikkie said...

I think you said it beautifully in your post-what would we do without the gospel? I'm sure that someday your experience and example will be able to help someone else who may not have the knowledge that we have.Please call us if you need anything!

Unknown said...

Dear Jana and Tyler and kids,

Thanks for sharing with me your story about your beautiful baby boy Matthew. I know you love him very much and he really is yours for eternity. It is comforting to know that God is in charge and he loveth his children. However, sometimes we are left to say "I don't know the meaning of all things." Thanks for your examples of courage and testimony in showing how to pull through with the Savior's help a time of sorrow.

Much love,
Patty Dixon and family

Laura Stringham said...

What a sweet picture! You guys are amazing. We pray for you every day, thanks for sharing your experience with us.

The Higgs' said...

Jana, I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know even what to say. Your post was beautiful. I can't imagine going through something as tough as this without the knowledge and comfort of the gospel. How blessed we are. Your little Matthew will watch over your little family I am sure, and what a joyous day that will be when you all can reunite! My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Wendy

Jamie said...

I am so so sorry Jana. I can't imagine what you and your family is going through right now. Only the Lord knows the answers to these difficult trials we have to endure.
Your post was written so well, I know it was hard.
Please take care of yourself, your family will be so blessed having its own angel watching over all of you. Love, Jamie

Greg said...

We love you all and we are here for you whenever you need us. You are always in our prayers. We are so grateful for your family in our lives.

RaQuelle Willey said...

Hope I can type through my tears. I'm so sorry that your hurting. What a precious picture and baby. He must be one incredible little boy to get the fast track to heaven. I will pray for you and thanks for sharing, we can all learn through others trials and our hearts go out to you and your family.

Jadi said...

Jana,
I can't imagine going through anything more difficult. You have always been such a great example to me. This was a beautiful post and I will never forget that picture. I love you.

Susannah said...

Jana,
I hope you don't mind me looking at your blog, but I saw it on Mary Ann's and just wanted to look. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and that precious picture of your sweet baby boy. I know this has been a trying time in your life for you and your family, but your testimony was so sweet and Iknow that you will all be together again someday. Sometimes nothing can take away the pain that you feel, but know that I am thinking of you and your sweet family. May the Lord bless you through this difficult time.

Susannah Lloyd Harris

Anonymous said...

Oh Jana....I'm so sorry! I know that life throws the oddest curves onto our paths and you are right, we will never know why as long as we are on this earth....but there is a reason. I do know that our trials really do make us stronger whether or not you believe that right now....I have no doubt about it. Hang in there...I love you!
And the picture is a priceless memory...treasure it forever!

Lloyd's Tribune said...

Oh Jana! My Dear I LOVE you and your family so...much! I think about you all the time, thanks for sharing this sweet tender story with all of us! I can't tell you how tender and heartfelt this is. I'm so sorry! Much Love!

Turia said...

I'm glad you wrote about baby Matthew. I hope it gave you some comfort to write about him. I loved our post and am in constant awe of your strength. I love you guys so much.

Lara B said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I had no idea that you had gone through this. Aren't we blessed to know we will be with those beloved children someday. They are waiting for us:) You are amazing and I love you.

JasonandJenn said...

I am soooo Sorry for your loss! Your post brought tears. With love - Jenn